Devotion to the Sacred Heart Explained.
The Feast of the Sacred Heart
The Pope encourages restoration of devotion to the Sacred Heart.
The word "heart" in the New Testament.
A meditation on the Sacred Heart.
Prayers to the Sacred Heart (traditional).
A "rosary" of the Sacred Heart.
"The Heart: The heart is the symbol for true love, charity, understanding, and piety; for happiness and joy as well as sorrow. It is recognized as the key organ of the human body, one that coordinates the intellect with the emotions. The emblem for devotions to the Sacred heart is a flaming heart, surmounted by a Cross and enclosed in the Crown of Thorns. As an attribute, the flaming heart generally suggests religious fervor, the pierced heart contrition and repentance."*
Other pages off site:
1. The Sacred Heart and the Eucharist.
2. Pope Pius XII on devotion to the Sacred Heart.
3. Pope Leo XIII's Encyclical on the Sacred Heart consecrating the human race to the Sacred Heart.
The act of Consecration given by Pope Leo XIII.
4. The Devotion to the Sacred Heart.
5. First Friday Devotion to the Sacred Heart.
6. Office and Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. (Eudists)
7. Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
8. The Story of Father Mateo and his effort to spread devotion to the Sacred Heart.
9. Pope JohnPaul II, in his address on the canonizaion of St. Claude La Colombiere, S.J., said devotion to the Sacred Heart helps people avoid spiritual problems such as occurred since the Saint encoraged this devotion: "an impersonal conception of God will spread; individuals, moving away from a personal encounter with Christ and the source of grace, will want to be the sole masters of their history and to become a law unto themselves, to the point of being ruthless in pursuing their own ambitions."
"The message... accessible to the humble as well as to the great of this world, answers such aberrations by clarifying the relationship of the person to God: in conformity with the Church's Tradition, it turns his gaze toward the cross of the world's Redeemer."
The Pope further said that Catholics who are truly attached to the Sacred Heart will not "be seduced by forms of meditation which turn in on the self without welcoming the presence of the Lord … (and) conceptions of the sacred which only mask a tragic spiritual emptiness."
From the Catholic Encyclopedia
1. Sacred Heart of Jesus.
2. St. Margaret Mary
3. St. John Eudes canonized in 1925.
4. St. Claude La Colombiere, S.J.
Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, prayers for nine days.
Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart to St. Margaret Mary
Litany of the Most Sacred Heart
Some Prayers to the Sacred Heart
Devotions to Sacred Heart (EWTN)
Last Update: 4/21/2004
This web page is the responsibility of Rev. Roger J. Smith, pastor of Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Comments are welcome. Mail the Pastor! To see a list of our many other pages click on the index below.